Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sometimes in the summer sunrise the cat

Sometimes in the summer sunrise the cat
Claims the long space between our bodies, sleeping. You,
Stripped down, still as a statue toppled in the sun.
My arms cartwheel under and over the sheet.
Enter the cat:
An ampersand of belly and spine, fur to spare, he slips
In the channel with jigsaw cunning, a yoga master of sleep. Perhaps
The quick delicious mouse who runs through the cat's dream
Will find refuge in the hollow of your ear-- I know
My dreams have traveled there, sometimes.



3 comments:

  1. Loved it the first time, love it again. However, I do prefer it when you read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-read it. I can see the cat slipping into place between the sleeping couple. The labyrinth structure of an ear suggesting the shape of dreams is wonderful. I think the Chagall (?) is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete